Monday, July 31, 2006

Unhealthy lifestyle

I attend Yoga for Triathletes again Saturday, and the more I hear our yoga instructor, Michael Glenn, talk about endurance training, the more swimming, cycling and running seem akin to smoking, drinking, and eating chocolate swirl ice cream. Rather than healthy lifestyle activities, apparently swimming, cycling and running are sinful indulgences that will wreak havoc on my lower back, quads, shoulders, etc.

This comes on top of my teammate Anthony Zeller explaining to me his hypothesis that the human body has an optimal capacity of 25,000 miles and just like a car, once you click past that point it is all downhill with lots of time in the repair shop.

Now I am regretting my misspent youth. I guess I shouldn't have squandered my 20s and 30s on those wasteful long, easy runs. Perhaps I should have played pool or darts or just drank, and then I could look forward to running along the beach in my twilight years and winning the over-80 age group.

Oh well, at least at least lately I have been making the most of my remaining miles and keep my back intact by emphasizing quality over quantity.

As noted in my blog post on Saturday (my quarterly training review), my training totals the last three months have been relatively low - only 30-40 kilometers per week of running. These limited workouts are mostly either interval work, long runs or tempo runs.

For example, two weeks ago Wednesday I did a ladder workout on the track with Namban Rengo and managed to hang on and run 3:50 for 1200, and 5:12 for 1600. Then at a 5k time trial last Wednesday I managed a time of 17:31 (despite running the first 800 in a ridiculously fast 2:32). This time is still somewhat feeble, but it is my benchmark for now, and if people ask me my 5k PB I will tell them I ran 17:31 in July 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also a bit sore after Saturday, this time in my right calf. But I just think it is a case of realigning my body again. And I always feel good after a lesson.