Sunday, September 24, 2006

Off-season triathlon training


Theoretically now my triathlon "season" is over. I was told that with the Sado Island Triathlon behind me, it is time to hibernate and fatten up over the winter. At Oi-futo two weeks ago, my teammate Mary said I looked tired and should get some recovery

But I hate to lose my momentum and training base, and with the end of summer the days are clear and cool, and I want to go outside and bike and run. The seasons here are not like my hometown of Seattle where summer is warm and dry and winter is cold and wet. I am starting to ponder triathlons and running events in the December timeframe (Phuket, Angkor Wat) which sound like great fun. So these past few weeks is really more of a "transition phase".

According to the research my off-season transition phase can be any duration more than 2 weeks. Anything shorter than 2 weeks will not produce the necessary physical and mental regeneration. The transition phase should incorporate the following --
1. Rest - At least 2 days per week
2. Weight training
3. Swim drills
4. Intensity - RPE (rate of perceived exertion) of 3 to 5 (on a scale of 1 to 10).
5. Duration - From 30 to 75 minutes each workout session.

I have had no problem resting 3 days per week. The weight training is a bit harder, since my spa is mostly about soaking in baths rather than pumping iron. I really never do weight training, though I know it is valuable for triathlon training (and long-term health). At least we are doing some focused strength work at Yoga for Athletes.

All my workouts these past three weeks have been low intensity except for the 10x800 Yasso track workout last Wednesday night where Namban teammate Omar pulled me along at 2:40 pace. As far as duration, my swims have dropped down to 35-minute sessions, and my boring indoor bike sessions have been only 55 minutes.

This weekend marks 3 weeks of "transition" and I am starting to plot my "base training".

1 comment:

Keren_m said...

Damn it! You have discovered my secret. This is also what I plan for the off season. I wondered what you were thinking and was going to talk to you about this soon.