Thursday, December 06, 2007

Short Intervals

Grown-ups are supposed to run longer, slower distances right?  I mean once you get out of high school gym class if you run at all it is marathon distances or at least 10k, but certainly not sprinting 200s on a track. 

Nonetheless, this past Monday I found myself doing a workout of 4x200, 3x330, 2x400, with Gerard and Juergen.  I blasted through the 200s in 33-seconds desperately trying to stay between my compatriots and surprisingly managed to do the 400s in under 70 seconds.

Short intervals are usually defined as repeat distances of less than 600 meters usually done at a fairly high level of intensity.  Even for marathoners, short intervals are recommended during the early build phase of training.  I have heard of the benefits of short interval training for a long time, but have been too lazy to make the effort.  But now with my hopes of redeeming myself I am trying again.   Believe it or not it actually was rather fun.

I will try to follow-up in later postings regarding any perceived benefits from short intervals.

 
 

No comments: