Sunday, July 11, 2010

Kamakura Rough Water Swim

I spent almost two hours struggling through 5-kilometers of ocean
waves yesterday in the Kamakura Rough Water Swim. 1 hour 55 minutes
and 30 seconds of swimming to be precise - more than 20 minutes slower
than my time in the same event last year which I have a vague memory
of being much easier and more pleasant.

Yesterday's event on the other hand was not particularly pleasant,
aside from afterwards sitting on the deck of the beach-house watching
the sunset, sipping a beer, and being glad the swim was over, and I
knowing I would not be doing any swims this long for another year.

I have spent considerable time on swim training since last year's
event and hoped to see a big improvement in time, but upon reaching
the first turnaround and seeing my split was 20 minutes, I realized my
time was going to be much, much slower than last year. And those
first 20 minutes seemed like hours and hours - it was distressing to
think I was only one-sixth of the way through the race. I tried to
stay positive and focus on each stroke. By the time I staggered out
of the ocean I was not so much fatigued from exertion as I was
nauseous from the swell and the salt water.

I finished 40th out of some 200 entrants (maybe a third of the
swimmers did not meet the cut-off time and ended up as a DNF). I did
not place as high as last year, though I am still pleased to be as
competitive as I was. Moreover I finished ahead of teammates Kimm-san
and Phil who are strong, natural swimmers who seem more genetically
pre-disposed to swimming than myself.

2 comments:

kimm said...

It was apparent that you were so strong and competitive yesterday! You deserve this cause you trained a lot and keep focused on the swimming leg. So now, it's time to get on to the Cycling leg. I know you'll be strong enough if your cycling is better than now. ;-) But, I'm so ambitious to beat you next time!!! OH!!!!!!!!!!

AZ said...

Why was it so much slower? Big ocean swells?