Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Vegetable Half-Marathon


I ran the Vegetable Half-Marathon Sunday finishing 15th overall among the 1,504 participants in 1:20:38. 

This race appears like it will be one of my few pure running events during what has become my "running season" -- the winter months from January to April.

I had fantasized about running 1:18 again, but that was a bit self-delusion given my condition these days (and the fact the course had a dozen 180-degree turns).  The start on a track contributed to an over-zealous first 4k. I started to think negative panicky thoughts around the 4k mark and begun wimping out and slowing down.  Fortunately I was able to man up and maintain roughly 19 minute per 5k pace for the next two loops.  Here are my splits:

5k -  18:32
10k - 37:38
15k - 56:40
20k - 1:16:25
Half - 1:20:38

The run seemed like quite a struggle for me with many surges and slowing down -- relative to most all my other half-marathons in recent years, Chiang Mai, Arizona, Kanagawa, in which I seemed to cruise along straighter courses.  Ultimately though I am pleased with the effort and will assume it represents my best possible time now.  

2 comments:

Prince Pari said...

Great splits... If you credit for 20 u-turns where you lost 7 seconds on each, you would be on for the 1.18

Jay said...

Yeah I want to credit myself 7-seconds for each u-turn, at least the ones on the third lap where we were battling crowds and it felt like going around a buoy in a crowded open-water swim. Can I give myself 2-seconds for each turn - the 40-second credit would put me under 80-minutes.