Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fussen 10k

Much more fun than a stressful Ironman triathlon - on Sunday I compete in the Fussen 10k.


The accompanying picture provides a sense for the day's frivolity - here we are having a PRE-RACE banana-split loading lunch in Fussan's charming central square.

Fussan is a postcard perfect Bavarian town at the base of the Austrian Alps.  The 10k entailed 3-loops each involving dashing through the cobblestone streets of the town followed by opening it up along a long, riverside bicycle path.

My times for the three loops were -  12:25, 12:45, and 12:42, for a total of 37:52 was good for first place in my age group  and 11th overall.

We were cheered on by the throngs of people relaxing at the outdoor cafes that line the course.  On each loop through the city's main street I got a nice boost to hear the crowd yell when the announcer called out my name and that I was coming all the way from America.

I seemed to be recovering reasonably well from the Ironman two weeks earlier and all the cycling I had been doing in between through the Bavarian countryside and along the Rhine.  And the banana split seemed to work.

3 comments:

Prince Pari said...

Nice work super dog. God time and overall placing to boot

Christian said...

good job!

Arnaud said...

Great time coming so close on the back of a full IM ! Now to train seriously for your chiang mai title defence