Tuesday, October 30, 2012

BBQ 10k

I capture a second glorious 10k triumph in consecutive weekends -- I win the Namban BBQ 10k in a time of 38:11 last Sunday.


It was a tactical race - I hang behind 3 other guys until 8k and then surge on the final turnaround.

My triathlon teammates are horrified that I am expending energy on what they deem frivolous events with my "A" race -- the Taiwan Half-Ironman -- coming up this Saturday.  I had been concerned about this myself.  But then, (1) I don't think the taper matters that much, (2) I didn't expend 100% effort on Sunday, and (3)when I stand back and think about it - the "frivolous" races have been more gratifying than eeking out improvement on my middle-of-the-pack finishes in the big triathlon events. The events I have enjoyed the most this year (the Fussen Fun Run, Dawg Dash, Namban BBQ Run) have all been "frivolous"

That said, I do really hope to execute well at Taiwan. The half-ironman distance should be good test for me now, and it seems I could improve on my 5:17 PB to-date.

1 comment:

Arnaud said...

Not forgetting that this is all prologue to your title defense at the chiang mai half marathon!!