Monday, October 14, 2013

College Cross Country 10k

I compete in a the Western Washington University Classic Cross Country meet this weekend.

Needless to say, I am in way over my head.  

The college guys explode out off the starting line - I run under 3:30 for the first kilometer over the soft, slippery winding grass, and I find myself gasping for air, my heart racing, and I am near the very back of the field.  

But I expected this.  

I flounder through the 2nd kilometer, but manage to calm down and catch up with a small pack around 2k and am able to gut out a 38 minute effort which seems to be OK given the course.  

I feel slightly more worthy for having made the competitive effort to challenge myself against real runners (versus cherry picking un-competitive charity road races where I might win some prize...).  And it is a beautiful autumn day for running at Lake Padden.  

2 comments:

Arnaud said...

well done! You will be hard to beat in chiang mai

TokyoRacer said...

Cross country! Fun! I wish we had more easily available cross races in Japan.