Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Run for the Cure 2013



However I feel completely drained at the start.  The night before had been pretty intense and the lack of sleep along with the week's heavy running had taken a toll.  At the starting line I have largely concluded I will run this as 10k tempo run - I really don't want to experience any physical discomfort.  

So then I felt a bit distressed after 500 meters when I found myself in 4th place and in contention for those coveted prizes awarded to the top 3 overall finishers. I feel distressed because I know I will be upset with myself later if I simply wimp out and slow down and not make at least some sort-of effort.  And I feel distressed because I have a vague desire to throw up. 

My teammate George who I train next to during weekly interval workouts is not too far ahead of me in 3rd place.  And I summon the effort to tuck in beside him.  This allows me to benefit from George opening up a path for us on the crowded sidewalk around the Imperial Palace.  

Basically this becomes my strategy for the race -  do the minimum necessary for the maximum payoff.  OK, this is pretty much always my strategy, all of the time, but on this particular day I am unusually keen on executing on the strategy.

A group of the top 5 runners jockey for position over the two loops and I just try to stay right behind someone and hope I can find some kick toward the end of the race.  Fortunately there is a 500-meter downhill section toward the end of the race where I can lower my hands, lean forward and gather some strength, and then sprint into 3rd place.

I am happy to hold on and cross the finish line in 3rd place in 36:35ish.  The little competitive dynamic, the nice weather, the post-run autumn festivities in the Park make for a great event. 




 


No comments: