Thursday, August 07, 2014

Atami Triathlon

I "win"the first annual Atami Triathlon!

I dramatically run down the talented and accomplished triathlete Jean-Marc in the final kilometer to cross the finish line first.  
Granted Jean-Marc had essentially lapped me on the bike leg and was well ahead of me, but the large staff of Atami race officials, after much careful deliberation, declared me the winner for my interpretation of the bike route - I seemed to have missed a turnaround though I am still not clear on the precise course. 

Well never mind that bit, the Atami Triathlon was great fun.  Another club organized triathlon like the Shimoda Triathlon described below, Atami had been organized by teammate Chris Parry, after we were not able to register in time for this year's Numazu Triathlon Relay. 

I am way too poor to afford to enter very many of the real, officially-organized triathlons with their $200+ registration fees, JTU membership, inevitably expensive travel costs, difficult registration process, and frequent weather-related cancellations.  Better to organize casual and convenient team events.   

Soon after this stunning sunrise, the dozen triathlon participants sprinted into the clean, clear water.  This fast beach start meant my heart rate and breathing were far too rapid and frantic, and I had to slow down, settling into a "B group"of swimmers.  I managed to concentrate on my swim stroke and pull away from the rest of the B group, but the half-dozen A group guys remained far ahead of me.  




Any time I gained accelerating at the end of the swim was quickly squandered on my transition to the bike when I could not find my sunglasses.  After a minute I abandoned the search for the glasses, and the resulting challenge of cycling directly into the rising sun contributed to my not adhering to the proper bike route.  I had managed to overtake 3 of the guys ahead of me from the swim, but Jean-Marc and Phil were still ahead of me when Jean-Marc suddenly sprinted past me.   I followed Jean-Marc back to the transition dropping farther behind as my competitive instincts diminish, and traffic builds.  At the bike-to-run run transition, Greg tells me that I am now 4 minutes behind Jean-Marc and he expects me to catch him.  I doubt that, but figure I should make an effort, and find that I am feeling surprisingly strong.  It is a scenic run course on a steep bluff overlooking the sea and i actually kind-of enjoy the run - unlike the typical triathlon run segment when I feel so fatigued from the very start.   

I look forward to the next of our informal triathlons.  Here are my splits

Swim (1k)- 21:58
Bike  (30k?) - 1:02:29
Run  (9k) - 35:49

No comments: