Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Shimoda Triathlon 3

I compete in the 3rd Shimoda Triathlon last weekend

I am forced to borrow a bike after my triathlon bike is slightly damaged during shipment back from Hiroshima.

The borrowed bike is agonizingly slow and heavy and on the downhill it feels like I am trailing a parachute behind me. 
I imagine a serious cyclist/triathlete with their thousands upon thousands of dollars of bike gear and fetish for having fastest technology would be outraged about suffering the pain and  indignity of using slower equipment.  As for me, I was bummed to not experience the glorious 40k per hour speed on flat like at Miyajima Triathlon, yet when I consider the results over the 37-kilometer Shimoda course, the slower bike does not seem drastically significant.   Thanks to drafting and some long uphill sections I am able to move up from 8th place to 5th place during the bike segment. 



In fact once again it is my slow swim time that has the bigger impact on my race.  It takes 24 minutes to swim some 1000 meters.  I have been doing considerable swim training this spring with lots of focus on strength and form.  But I am not getting any faster.  My results are getting slower.


Not that the results matter that much on Sunday - it is a fine, scenic weekend with friends.  And anyway I finish 2nd - way, way too far from 1st place to even trifle over whether one component would have made a difference.




No comments: