Saturday, October 07, 2006

Minimalist Run Training - Running two days per week


Thousands of runners (mostly lazy Americans) have completed a marathon based on a training regime of only three runs per week.   The serious runners in my Tokyo running team are appalled to hear of such half-hearted devotion to the sport.

As I start preparing for the fall race campaign I am doing even less than that.  Over the past several months my run training is down to only TWO workouts per week. 

Here is my recent weekly mileage (in kilometers, not miles)

July 30 - 8/5   - 26
Aug 6 -12      -  31
Aug 13-19     -  34
Aug 20-26     -  29   
Aug 27 -9/2   -  19    (Sado taper)
Sept 3-9       -   37   (Sado Triathlon)
Sept 10-16   -   17
Sept 17-23   -   28
Sept 24-30   -   18

Granted each week I am also doing 2-3 one-hour swim sessions and 1-3 bike rides/spin sessions.  This cross-training has so far allowed me to maintain a reasonably competitive level of speed and endurance . 
 
However as I struggled to run 6 x 1000 meters on Wednesday at a 3:22 average, I begun to wonder if the limited running is starting to have a negative impact on me.   
 

No comments: