Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Shibuya Ekiden



This past weekend witnessed the Shibuya Ekiden (a running relay, which entailed 4 participants each running 2.6 kilometers). I am a "captain" for the Namban Rengo Veteran B team, which was perhaps way too much responsibility for me given my constant befuddlement at the arcane rules and regulations involved in even the most casual of Japanese weekend athletic events. Thanks to my more Japan-savvy teammates we seem to have successfully registered, figured out the various sashes (which serve as batons), and negotiated the transition area and course itself (without further straining international relations).
I am in no shape to run such a short-distance, but my teammates, particularly our leadoff runner Fabrizio, run spectacularly and we finish third in our division. As a marching band plays, and hundreds of race officials look on, we receive our bronze medals in the elaborate award ceremony --

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great report Jay. I look forward to running tomorrow.