Thursday, November 29, 2007

Back from abyss?

My training has continued to spiral ever downward. Last Friday saw me plunge into the darkest abyss yet. I struggled through a pathetic and humiliating performance at the Ohtawara 10k - staggering across the finish line in 37:25.

My teammates tried to be polite and supportive, but it was impossible for them to hide their disdain and embarrassment for me. Several suggested I am washed up and my days in endurance sports should come to a merciful end: "Perhaps you should think about taking up more sedentary pastimes Jay - maybe darts? crossword puzzles? rock-scissors-paper tournaments?"

On Monday morning I could feel a searing pain in my IT Band every time I stood up after sitting for a long time. After a slow shuffling training run and a gasping, sputtering swim on Monday afternoon, I sank into complete despair and began gathering up my triathlon equipment and dragging it out of the apartment to dump in the recycling bin. But then as I started to toss my swim goggles and bike cleats into the bin for plastic, non-burnable recyclables, I begun to think about my teammates counting on me at the ekiden, and all our plans for Ironman China. What would my Grandma Magda think if I just gave up? Hadn't I been taught - A quitter never wins and winner never quits, and when the going gets tough, the tough get going?

So I dragged my gear back to my apartment and did some stretching and strength drills. Then I went to B&D Sports and had my foot plant and stance re-examined and bought some high-arch, high-cushion shoe inserts and new training flats. On Wednesday night I went to the weekly track workout and stuck behind Yoshida-san for 5-kilometers in 17:31 at an almost precise 3:30 per kilometer pace.

I still have a long way to go, but today I am feeling better that I can eventually get back on track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jay you're slowing down.
I just wish to run a 37 min 10k.
It will be my first.
Stop your wallowing and self pity.
Hope to see you at Takamizu 30k.

I need revenge.

Arch-rival Mike(not really since a rival needs to be relatively close, I think?)

MikeT