Monday, December 17, 2007

2007 Gear Review

As we all know, the sport is really just about buying stuff. Actually engaging in outdoor activity is a necessary evil to justify all these heavy expenses and trips to the store. With that thought in mind, here is my 2007 gear review:


1. Sports performance insoles - (Foot disc)
An amazing miracle cure. My shins and IT Band had been aching for weeks. After being analyzed and fitted with the insoles I felt better that night. Visiting a podiatrist would probably be even more effective, but would cost significantly more than the cost of my insoles - approximately $20.


2. Swim Goggles - Aqua Sphere Kaiman
Goggles have been an area of great paranoia for me. I seem to have an oddly shaped face and most of the leading goggle brands leak horribly. But Aqua Sphere fits perfectly. Moreover with the Kaiman, swimming in crowed open waters is less of murky, dark ordeal - the visibility is that much better. Definitely recommend trying on Kaiman.


3. Compression tights (2XU)
Apparently the idea is that these tights wrap around certain muscle groups to accelerate blood flow and oxygen delivery to muscles, and eliminate lactic acid. The wrapping effect also reduces muscle vibration which results in less muscle soreness and reduces recovery times. Hmmm. I was skeptical, but my legs do feel better. Moreover the compression tights are light, warm, and wick moisture well (and people say they look cool). Downside - they are really tight. All in all I would definitely recommend anyone buying a tight to spend a little extra (well probably a lot extra: $50-100) and get compression tights.


4. Neck gaiter
People like to point out to me how my hair is thin on top and thus I should wear a hat to keep 80% of body warmth from escaping through the top of my head. This does not seem true at all. OK, the part about my hair being thin on top may be true, but it is does not seem true that I need to keep the top of my head warm -- it is my ears I need to keep warm. But invariably after wearing a hat while doing exercise I get too hot and find myself carrying it. Then putting it back on. Then taking it off. Then eventually getting tired of carrying it and putting it down somewhere and losing it. The beauty of neck gaiter is that it provides a self-regulating system of rotating between my ears and neck depending on degree of warmth required.


5. Other -

I did not buy any other gear this year. Frankly, I truly hate shopping.

2 comments:

GKK said...

Hi Jay, who stocks footdiscs? Those orange ones look interesting.

Jay said...

Sports Prop Shop B&D in Yoyogi was helpful for me -

http://www.bnd.co.jp/index.html