Thursday, February 14, 2008

Midlife Training Crisis

The Yoga Master keeps warning me about the cumulative effect of running.  Given my earlier injuries, inherent inflexibility and some 50,000 kilometers of running over 25 years,  some would argue that I am facing a looming running breakdown, after which I will be forced to live out my days in a rocking chair in front of the fireplace, talking incessantly about how great I did chasing Motozo down at the 2006 Sado Triathlon.  

Here is the Yoga Master's response to my question about the body being like an automobile - capable of only so many running miles:

About your concern that you've already expended your allotment of miles at age 44: this is my basic thinking on such matters:

* Every body is different
* Hard exercise takes a cumulative toll on the human body
* To a degree, the body is regenerative
* The regenerative capacity of the human body declines with age
* An exercise program with diversity, including strength, cardio and flexibility training, is best

It's common sense, not rocket science. If a 40ish runner is too stiff to bend over and tie his shoes without creaking in the hips and knees, his overall quality of life at 60 is going to be worse, not better, unless he makes changes in his program.

I like to think that my body is quite regenerative and has adapted to running, especially given how light I am.  Nonetheless this kindof thinking has contributed to my cutting out my "marginal running"  -- those extra weekly maintenance runs, and extra mileage on tempo and long runs - extra running which I did not particularly enjoy anyway. I look forward to my first 5k loop of the Tokyo Palace, but why slog out another one if it is just destroying me.   So instead of 80 kilometers per week, I am doing 30-40k per week along with more swim, indoor cycling and yoga.  

Unfortunately this attitude is rather de-motivating.  I miss the sense of purpose and progress that accompanied my more hell-bent training regimes.

4 comments:

MilesandMiles said...

Hmmm isnt there a solid argument often made that the extra maintenance run make your body stronger and that blasting 3 runs a week is just as likely to lead to injury... For me running often is just as important as running faster and faster... See you soon i hope...

Jay said...

1. Yes, the most recent evidence seems to suggest that the stress on ones body is a function of both the speed of footstrike and the number of footstrikes, so substituting speed for distance is not necessarily the answer.
2. I have heard the argument that an easy recovery run is better for injury prevention than full rest or cross-training (I am not so sure about this argument)
3. For me, my body clearly feels better after a shorter more intense workout than after a longer slower run (maybe I am unusual?)
4. Actually lately I have been cutting back on BOTH intensity and mileage - though I hope to pick up on intensity

David 元三 Rubenstein said...

Jay, maybe you need to take some time off completely? I found that clean breaks can often yield stellar results..sure you will lose some short-term stamina, but long-term you will clear your mind and reenergize your body...do i sound like the yoga master?

PeggyAnn said...

I stumbled across your blog and find it very interesting. This post particularly piqued my interest. As a 43 year old female runner, I find my running has matured over the years ...and I'm still surprising myself with improvement. I know I'm not in my twenties anymore and therefore I too have cut out marginal running (and focus rather on quality and cross training), my hope and wish to be running well into my....nineties.

Keep on keepin' on, my friend :-)