Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fuji Mountain Climbing Race


Last Friday I participated in one of the quintessential Japan running experiences - the Fuji Tozan climbing race.  By the time I learned about the registration it was too late to enter the climb to the summit and I settled for the run to the 5th station. The Summit Race is 21 km with an elevation gain of 3,000 meters, and the 5th station race is 15km with an elevation gain of 1,480 meters.  I was pleased to be forced to select the easier event - the 5th station race is more of a running endeavor (as opposed to a climbing/crawling, oxygen deprivation experience), and the summit race requires scrambling back down a long painful trail. 

But when we arrived in the town of Fuji-Yoshida at the base of the mountain and I looked up at the awe-inspiring site of Mount Fuji looming above us - I could not help but feel that strange compulsion to make it to the top.  I felt that even more so at the starting line with the 

The cutoff times for Fuji Tozan are absurdly strict - for the Summit Race you must reach the 8th station within 4 hours.  More than half the entrants are cruelly turned back after climbing for 19km - and runners who make it to the finish are considered conquering heroes. 

I ran reasonably well - finishing the 15k course in 1:40:46 which was good for 21st among the 480 finishers in the 5th station event. 

I went out easy on the course's flat section (all 500 meters of it) from the starting line at Fuji-Yoshida city hall to the first turn.  Then as we begun the relentless climb, I started to steadily pass people.  Fortunately much of the first 11km is on a smooth paved road where we enjoyed shade and splendid scenery.  

I managed to get into a nice running rhythm despite the elevation gain.  I did have to fight back negative, panicky feelings ("if I feel bad, now just wait until we really start to climb later"). Fortunately the Fuji Tozan 5th station race does not  torture us with the ever-increasing  steepness of  Ohyama Tozama -- a race which I have done 3 times and which haunted me throughout.  

The first water stop was 35 minutes into the race at which point dehydration was taking a toll.  The water and cafe latte gel I carried gave me renewed strength and I passed Jin at this point. I thought I might keep only passing runners all the way to the top, but then when we reached Umagaeshi at 11km, the course becomes steeper and the terrain more uneven, and suddenly a series of gaunt, elderly men begun to scamper by me.  It seemed apparent to me that these guys were a different breed of hill climbing runners and that they lived to climb these steep rugged slopes.
  
I reached a 13km marker at 1:15 on my watch and thought I might break 1:30.  I begun to walk on steeper sections where I felt that little extra time could be gained by running.  I was surprised that it took so long to get to the finish but felt pretty strong as we crossed the finish.  

Now I feel I must do the Fuji Summit Race some day. I think I would be relatively less competitive at the summit event, but who cares - the challenge and uniqueness are compelling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on finishing Jay. 1:40 is a great effort.

Is there a website with the results on it? Can you post it here?

Cheers

Jay said...

Thanks Michael -

The only results I have si from Runnet and is in Japanese and require entering names or race numbers to obtain individual results: http://www.runnet.jp/result/detail.php?ses_competition_id=6690