Friday, May 15, 2009

Gotemba Resort



Last year I could never be 100% sure that Mount Fuji really was looming over the Fuji Susono course, no matter what Yoshida-san kept saying - everything was shrouded in fog throughout the cold, drizzly weekend. And last year the half marathon was astonishingly easy for me - I somehow ran a 1:20:18 on the roller coaster course.

This past weekend at Fuji Susono saw clear weather and hot temperatures - Mount Fuji made for an impressive backdrop for all the photos that are huge and festive group took. And this year the half marathon was astonishingly difficult for me - I ran a 1:25:03 and even struggled on the long downhill finish.

Everyone was a bit slower this year - I only dropped from 4th to 6th place in my division. But my teammates did not seem to struggle nearly as much as I did. Perhaps I am weaker in the heat like I always like to complain about.

Or perhaps my 30+ teammates were just more realistic and wiser than me and took my advice about just relaxing at the bizarre Gotemba Resort and microbrewery.

2 comments:

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done on finishing 6th Jay.
I well remember last year when every body talked about Fiji san but I of course saw nothing of it and was not even sure what direction it was in.
Hope your running is going well.
Jon & tamami

Jay said...

Thanks Jon. I think the odds are that we will be back to overcast weather next year - and faster times (but less impressive photos).