Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Silver Lake 2-mile Swim


I thought I might finish near last place as I drove to last weekend's Silver Lake Swim.  At that point finishing last did not really concern me - it was a sunny morning, and this swim event served as a good workout and a fine opportunity to work on open water swim technique.    But upon arriving at the lake my expectations start to change. 

I don't mean to sound arrogant or disrespectful, but the athletes that surrounded me at the starting line of the Swim did not look particularly, well, athletic.  I have grown accustomed to events like the Frankfurt Ironman and staring up at strapping, muscular German young men with their focused game faces as they determinedly rack their $10,000 bikes, drink their complex energy drinks and talk intensely about their 20+ hour per week training regimes. 

I arrive at Silver Lake and find myself chatting with a neighborly, silver haired woman in front of me in the event registration line who talks to me at length about her grandchildren's summer camp.   I look around and at least two-thirds of the field I would characterize as being above an optimal weight.  I start to think that I should be pretty competitive. 

Yet when the gun went off almost all of these other athletes burst out ahead of me, and even as I tell myself to surge toward the first buoy I find the rest of the crowd pulling further and further ahead. 

My first mile was a disappointing 33+ minutes.  The second mile loop did not seem much faster as I zig-zagged around the buoys, the swimmer ahead of me far in the distance.  But somehow, (as is always the case in my swims), I seemed to settle into a rhythm and speed up -- I was just over 30 minutes for the second mile.  My goal for the day had been to break an hour, so at least I was on pace during the second half.  I just somehow need to improve my starting speed and my sighting. 

Oh and I didn't finish last.  A couple other swimmers straggled in behind me.  But I didn't see the grandmother at the finish - she must have been well ahead of me. 


No comments: