Friday, June 19, 2020

Training in a Pandemic – Preparing for a virtual mile

I never stopped interval training during the shutdown.  

Instead the track closures proved a catalyst for shifting to shorter faster interval sessions – rather than 1000s at 10k race pace, my teammate and I blasted through 400s and 200s at mile pace (or maybe the mile pace that I was capable of running decades ago and still have delusions of hitting). 

With no race in sight, and no need for race-specific training, we figure it is best to work on trying to maintain speed, since speed is reportedly among the primary things we lose as we get old. Moreover it just seems more appealing of late to do shorter sessions.  

The loop where we run has marks every 100 meters and we fixate on these marks as we alternate between sprinting and jogging (or sometimes walking to get more recovery).  

I said we had no actual races to target, but then a few weeks ago I noticed a message about the Brooklyn Mile, a virtual event, which I had initially dismissed as pointless (isn’t the point of entering a race to experience the course and the energy and competitive push of the other participants around you?)  

I remember that the other reason to enter races is to have a focal point for training.  And to have something to talk about – “so what is your next race?” is the standard conversation starter among my teammates and without this topic of conversation we either just stare blankly at each other or engage in endless speculation about the future spread of the virus. 

So I enter the Brooklyn Mile which will take place this coming weekend.  I am not sure that my overly fast 400s and 200s are optimal preparation, but it is nice to have a sense of purpose (and something to talk about). 

No comments: