Thursday, January 19, 2006

Swim at Roppongi Hills Spa

My current existence is an odd and occasinally disconcerting mixture of poverty and luxury. One of the luxuries is access to the Roppongi Hills Spa.

At lunch today I walk over from my office at Roppongi Hills Tower and hurriedly push myself through 50-minutes of swimming (approximately 2-kilometers). I had woken up this morning feeling fatigued, and I struggle through what is essentially a rest day.

The other guests at this upscale spa do not appear to be training for a triathlon. In fact the swimming pool and exercise equipment are relatively empty. Tokyo's wealthy pamper themselves by receiving facials and massages, sipping nutritious juice drinks and having personal trainers prod and contort them. This being Japan, there is a big emphasis on bathing - lots of showering and soaking in numerous tubs and whirlpools, and saunas. Lots of changing slippers and plush robes. The whole facility is sleek and gorgeous. The attendants are sleek and gorgeous. But I don't have time to relax or appreciate any of this, I just try desperately to squeeze in all my training requirements in limited time.

Anyway I remind myself what a contrast it will be swimming in the tumult of ironman with its frenzied mass start, versus gliding back and forth in the tranquil Hills Spa with the soft colors and gentle new-age music .

No comments: