Friday, January 05, 2007

2007


This is the part of the triathlon training blog where I post my obligatory 2007 triathlon goals.  However, as per my yoga instruction, I have been trying to "live in the present" and my planning horizon right now has not extended much past the January 21st Shibuya Ekiden and some business presentations on January 22-24.  I have not really begun to think about goal times.  Moreover when I think of my triathlon goals for 2007 I am inclined to take into account certain work/survival parameters - I need to be able to make money to buy food in 2007, and thus need to focus on some business travel in the crucial months of March and April. 

That said, here are a few immediate broad objectives:
.
1. Swim -
  • Work on crawl technique - As much as I enjoy my serene, meditative lunch swim sessions at the spa, all this back-and-forth is not the most efficient use of time.  If I am going to spend so much time swimming I might as well at least try to do it right.  Several people have recommended spending a weekend at a  Total Immersion Class
  • Enter a pure swim-only event (during which I vow that I will make absolutely NO remarks to anyone, including myself, that I am really a runner/cyclist and not a swimmer).  No excuses - if I am in a swim race, I was born to swim, I am half-porpoise.

2. Cycling -
  • Explore Hokkaido by bike.  The last 2 years I have hoped to travel to Japan's northernmost island and cycle the famous scenic routes, and in 2007 will really try to make the journey.
  • Participate in more of the local group rides - especially when the group travels on scenic, rural routes.  These rides tend to be time-consuming, but ultimately rewarding
  • Survive - Continue to avoid getting hit by trucks and buses on Tokyo's crowded, chaotic streets.

3. Running -
  • Continue to enter new and interesting events  - For example it would be nice to experience the St. Petersburg or Lisbon or Gobi Half-Marathon. Qualifying for Boston Marathon in 2008 would also be nice since this is another event I have intended to do and procrastinated about for.. hmmm..some 25 years.
  • Enjoy the Tokyo Marathon without debilitating injury -  Tokyo Marathon is shaping up as the social event of the season and will the inaugural running of what should become one of the world's top marathons.

3 comments:

MilesandMiles said...

I also prefer setting qualitative goals rather than quantitative ones (my boss disagrees)!!

Good luck with your survival goal!

GKK said...

No plans to enter a bike race?

Jay said...

I thought about listing my goal of entering the 2007 Death Ride
http://www.deathride.com/
129 miles of climbing through five California mountain passes. This has been a dream of mine for a long time and like Boston Marathon I vow to do it soon.