Monday, January 15, 2007

Winter 2006-07: Trail run series Part 2

My primary training goal has been to avoid running the same weekly long course twice, and to continually discover new and entertaining courses. Continuing my November 25 blog posting, here is a list of my long runs over the past 6 weeks --

Week 7 (December 9) Olomana Trail 12k
My trail "run" near where I am staying in Kailua, Hawaii turns into a steep and slightly perilous climb along a narrow ridge. I manage about 6k of running up roads and mountain trails before I find myself walking, then crawling, then pretty much just clinging to the rock thinking about how stupid it will look if I fall and hurt myself after breaking all the common sense hiking rules -- hiking with other people, telling someone else where you will be hiking, bringing first aid equipment, etc. (well this was supposed to be a run not a "hike" anyway). Somehow I will myself to turn back and clamber down and after the "run" I look a the hiking trail guidebook afterwards and under danger level the Olomana Trail is "Very High"


Week 8 (December 17) Angkor Wat Half Marathon 21k
Needless to say this is an interesting new course - see December 25 posting

Week 9 (December 24) Sagamiko to Jimba to Takao
The Takao Mountain area is among the most popular day hike destinations for the 30 million odd people living in the Greater Tokyo area thanks to its easy access and extensive network of trails. Fortunately (for us runners) 98% of the hikers stick to the area around the Takaosanguchi station and Takao summit which is hardly a nature experience - lots of pavement, packs of schoolchildren, numerous vending machines, a cable car, noodle stands, etc. After running various routes through the Takao area, and after much discussion and analysis, I have concluded that the optimal run in terms of : 1) Time Efficiency, 2) Percentage of run on soft trail, 3) Fewest hikers, and 4) Scenery, is to start at Sagamiko station, run to the top of Jimba Mountain, then run back to finish at Takaosanguchi. This route is even more ideal if you take the comfortable weekend Kawaguchiko Express to Sagamiko. Since this run starts at one train station and finishes at another station, ideally the runner should carry everything with them. This proves no problem for me, for a run like this I will simply carry
1. the running gear I wear
2. a watch
3. a change of shorts
4. a train pass
5. a 1000 yen note,
6. and a Power Bar.
I send a message to the Namban Club email list about the run, and amazingly 15 people join me at Sagamiko. Actually the amazing thing to me is how much stuff everyone else brings. What is all this stuff they carry I wonder - Storm clothes? I-Pods? Navigation technology? Communication technology? Tents? Stoves?
It is a great day - if you look very, very closely in the accompanying picture you can even see Mount Fuji



Week 10 (December 30) The Kamakura Trail Run - 30k
Over the years I have always made an effort to time my runs around sunset. Research shows that this is the best time for your body to exercise, and of course it is the most pleasant and scenic time of day (no matter what my masochist teammates might lecture about their disciplined early morning runs). And naturally I make particular effort if I am running by a beach at sunset. So when 16 runners join me for the loop of Kamakura I time the run so you can see Mount Fuji silhouetted on the skyline as we run along the long stretch of coastline from Imamuragasaki to Zushi Marina, and Japan's Beverly Hills:



Week 11 (January 7) - Ikejiri to Inokashira Trail - 32k
This is an urban trail - a 32 km out-and back course starting in Ikejiri-Ohashi, following streams, walking paths, playgrounds and urban pocket parks from bustling Ikejiri-Ohashi all the way out to the bucolic Inokashira park in Tokyo's upscale west suburbs. Brett Larner managed to piece together this course by combining various trails into an almost continuous, seamless link. A nice urban adventure - at a brisk 4:45 per kilometer clip.


Week 12 (January 13) - Musashi Itsukaichi to Mount Hinode - 20k
My teammates advise me to focus on marathon training. They are so earnest and emphatic - it is inspiring, even touching. But for so long I have heard rumours about a trail from Musasi Itsukaichi to Mount Mitake, and the morning of January 13 provides a rare opportunity to learn the course from Satohi and the Yokota Striders. And it is worth it - the course is fantastic - even better than the legend that preceded it - after a steep climb we run on soft level trails through forests up to Mount Hinode were we have panoramic views in all directions, then on to the mountain-top village and temple perched on the summit of Mitake.

Eric and Paul from Yokota Striders are even more well-equipped than my teammates at the Sagamiko Run. The gadgetry is impressive - as you would expect from members of the US Air Force: various state-of-the-art navigation equipment and altimeters and thermometers and cameras and numerous layers of technical clothing and thingamajigs that I don't recognize and decide not to ask about - presumably some classified technology that will call in aerial or space-based reinforcement. They also bring lots and lots and lots of Girl Scout Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and Girl Scout Caramel Delights. I learn how the Yokota Striders' activities benefit the bases' Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Obviously I was not a boy scout - I do not prepare well at all for these wilderness runs. Eric and Paul are aghast that I fail to even bring water. I only bring: 1) The clothes I wear, 2) One Power Bar, 3) 2,000 yen. On this day I have neglected to even bring my watch.

No comments: