Friday, July 11, 2008

Countdown to 5k Open Water Swim

Only 16 hours until my swim marathon.   I feel increasingly anxious - but this anxiety could be caused by other things in my life.  Anyway I need to focus on keeping my stroke smooth and long and consistent tomorrow. 

I anticipate swimming for up to 2 hours - a long time to be working in the open seas.  My rule in running/triathlon events is to eat every 30-minutes on any endurance event over 60-minutes.  So I am thinking to tuck a gel or two inside my wetsuit.  I have not practiced doing this, so I have no idea if eating in the middle of the swim will be do-able. 

As is often before a big event I find myself thinking - "I really should have done one more real long training swim..."

My race goal?  Really just to finish and have fun.  I have been averaging 2:00 on 100 meters in pool for 20 reps, but when I get out in the open water the workouts do not seem as relevant.

My other goal - not to make excuses and tell other participants "I am not really a swimmer".  Tomorrow I am a swimmer.

No comments: