Thursday, August 21, 2008

Beijing Olympics 5

It is my last night in Beijing and naturally I am compelled to experience another track and field session.  So I wade into the throngs of ticket scalpers lined up outside the Olympic Village entrance and spot a young Chinese holding a ticket for that night.  When I try to begin negotiating he frantically gestures for me to follow him and leads me to a nearby building entrance.  Apparently the Chinese authorities are still frowning on this market clearing mechanism.  The young seller types out his asking price of 1500 yuan (US$215) on his cell phone. I point to my watch to indicate the fact the session is already starting and offer 200 yuan.  I am a bit surprised when he indignantly marches off, and I grow concerned as I walk along the gate and all the tickets held up for offer are for events on later days.  Then a burly Australian walks up beside me, asks if I need tickets, and asks 700 yuan.  I respond that I can pay half that and I discretely slip him cash as we stride past the Chinese security forces and chat about US hopes against the Jamaicans.  It is a win-win transaction; the Australian is no doubt delighted to unload his ticket at the last second at 350 (50 yuan below the face value) and I am delighted to get back in the Birds Nest.

One of the really great things about attending these international events is the camaraderie with fans from all over the world.  I find myself sitting next to Ivan, a young 800-meter junior champion from Ukraine and a boisterous group of Estonians.  They are all so extremely excited to learn I am from the US and they hug me with joy when Americans Dawn Harper and Jeremy Wariner win their respective races and try to console me when the British sprinter overtakes Sanya Richards in the 400.  Of course we all go crazy when Estonia wins the discus throw.

One other thing that just does not come through on TV is the emotional power of the medal award ceremonies.  When everything else at the track stopped and 90,000 fans rose for the New Zealand national anthem for the woman's shot put gold medalist on Sunday both Christian and I were deeply moved.  For New Zealand!  For the woman's shot put!  an event we had not even seen or even thought about prior to that moment.

3 comments:

Christian said...

indeed, seeing such a ceremony live in a 90k stadium was really impressive - everybody stands for just that anthem. the effect fades with the number of ceremonies but I will remember that first ceremony for a while!

David 元三 Rubenstein said...

naruhodo...the medal ceremonies do bring a tear to my eye, no matter what event....nothing like being at the scene of the event...nice one Jay!

Iron Bach said...

Thrilling stories about the Olympics...
Seeing is amazing but imagine what it's like to be inside!
I was a little too sensitive during the opening ceremony and all medal ceremonies (just like David said)...