Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shibuya Ekiden


I am the weak link on a stacked master's relay (ekiden) team at the 4x2.9k Shibuya Ekiden. Compare to last year when I was the star taking the lead for our winning team. This year I follow Kuri's blistering 9:21 and my 9:57 manages to hold onto first place, which is all that was really required of me, as I hand off to Mike Trees one of the faster 45+ 10k runners (in the world. seriously) Fabrizio anchors us to victory in total time of 39:20 - and I get the glory again at award ceremony in this picture.

3 comments:

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done. Congrats.

AZ said...

With those teammates I think I could have come in first place.

Jay said...

Thanks Jon and Anthony.
Yes with Mike Trees, Kuri and Fab as teammates I was thinking the best strategy is to just play it safe and try to avoid cramp, pulled muscle etc. It felt fast, but it turns out my time was much slower than last year.