Monday, November 03, 2014

2014 Barbecue 10k

I run 36:59 at Namban Barbecue 10k.

I intended to run at about 85% of full effort.  But my pace rabbit, George (pictured to my left), takes it out at 3:41 per kilometer pace and so, inevitably, that is precisely the pace that I maintain for the whole 10k.

The time is very close to the time of 36:48 I ran at Fall City two weeks earlier, this despite a lingering cough, and despite my intentions to run at less than 100%.  Once again the competitive dynamics kicks in and I feel compelled to push through to end -- and avoid getting passed (I finish in 2nd place, completely exhausted by the effort). 

My plan for October had been to focus on a painfully difficult and highly competitive cross country race in Seattle.  But with the aforementioned cold, and with my Seattle teammates split among several events, it was just too easy to decide not to enter the cross country race on the rainy morning of the event.  Such poor form how quickly I decide to abandon my "A race" 

1 comment:

TokyoRacer said...

A decent time, and you didn't mention that it was a pretty hot day.
"Barbecue 10K" is a good name for this race. Have to use that next year.