Friday, April 17, 2015

New triathlon training program - all intensity, all the time


I abandon plans to participate in Monday’s Boston Marathon.  I was never particularly enthusiastic about attempting a fast 42-kilometers on pavement, and felt mostly relief when I made the decision and abandoned my slot.  Right afterwards one of the guys beside me at a workout in Arizona starts talking about all his effort to run a “BQ” .  It took me a moment to figure out what the heck a BQ meant, and when I did I was reminded of the effort so many (particularly American) runners put in to experience the hallowed course.  I decided not to mention to this guy how I had just relinquished my coveted spot. 

So with Boston out of the picture, and no run events on my calendar, I shift into a new Triathlon Training Program. I enlist a “coach” - longtime teammate Keren - who creates a base triathlon training program for late March and April. 

All the training is intense.  Ten relatively short and relatively fast workouts per week. 

As far as the running - that Polarized Training concept I mentioned in my earlier post - that is completely out the window.  None of that “active recovery” that is considered so crucial by some run training gurus.   No easy runs, no foundation runs -- just hard brick-runs, track intervals, hills, and short bursts on treadmills. 

You see this vividly illustrated in my Strava run log for the past 4 weeks (versus my January run log I posted here on Feb 9).   Like in the lyrics of the old Coldplay song, “it is all yellow” - yellow meaning “workout” rather than the green for an easier “run”


3 comments:

Arnaud said...

Good call not to mention to that guy that an AG50-54 casually ran a young bloke qualifier but decided not to bother!!

TokyoRacer said...

And recovering from Boston would have thrown your tri training plans out the window.

umair said...

ironman training
Coaching programs from beginners to Olympians.Cycling, Running, Triathlon and Boxing training programs Online worldwide coaching for all types of athletes.