Wednesday, December 04, 2019

2019 training summary - Long, slow running makes me feel slow


I struggled to return to running form after all my races last May.  My summer "off-season" was dismal - I can't seem to fully shake a series of aches and pains, and never truly feel strong and smooth and comfortable -- especially on longer, steadier runs (which I did more of as you can see below).  I consistently feel worse after long runs than after much harder shorter interval sessions. 

Moreover, I fall back into the slower group at Wednesday night intervals and lose hope of ever rejoining the fastest group as I age farther into my twilight years and decrepitude takes a cruel and bitter toll.  I find myself envying all the less injury-prone runners who can handle greater volume.  

Here is a summary of the massive (for me) increase in volume over the July-October period:



My one consolation is my improvement in chin-ups -- I receive endless kudos whenever I record 5x20 chin-ups on Strava.  I am tempted to set up a chin-up a bar next to the track and challenge people to chin-up contests in order to counter the dispiriting impact of my desultory running. 

Finally in November I scale back on the volume as you can see above.  I also decide to start "racing" the Wednesday night intervals again - hanging on at the back of the fastest group in sub-3:30 pace and enjoying the fact of being back up with my younger teammates. More importantly, the visceral pleasure of the sport returns - I sense more endorphins, especially on my intervals and my weekly session at park alternating between running and calisthenics.   

1 comment:

TokyoRacer said...

It's not too often I laugh out loud at blog posts, but "as I age farther into my twilight years and decrepitude takes a cruel and bitter toll." did the trick.

And yes, 5x20 chinups is amazing. In fact, 20 is amazing. I can do 8, which I'm proud of. Most men, even fit men, can only do one or two.