Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Autumn 2019 Races

I have have generally entered some sort-of race almost every month of the year.  But this year I go almost 6 months without entering any real events (as much as I like to consider my Murph Test a major milestone event). 

I enjoy treating the training sessions as ends in themselves. But, alas, I need to be able to answer the question "what is your next race?" which is the most common query at my clubs.  So I sign up for the Tsukuba 10k, a reportedly flat and fast event. With all the time leading up to the event my expectations naturally build.

But then after all the build-up I have a inexplicably poor run.  I go out in a reasonable 3:45 pace, but proceed to fade dramatically from there, finishing in about 40:30.  

Like my first race coming off long break at Nagareyama, I feel weak and I feel that I surrendered under duress.  But at Nagareyama I had the sensible excuse of self preservation in the unseasonable heat.  At Tsukuba, (like any event), there were plenty of little challenges: wet shoes, limited warm-up, sleep issues leading up to event, niggling injuries prior to the event, 180-degree turnarounds, etc., but none that justify such a pathetic showing. 

Fortunately last week there is a 5k time trial at the track and I manage to crank out a respectable 18:16 restoring some semblance of confidence and a willingness to enter races in the future. 

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Yes, a bit strange, given the 18:16. I guess you're in 5k shape, but not 10k shape. Also the "niggling injuries before the event" were probably a factor.

Arnaud said...

The day was certainly stressful between the rain, the very long queue (for which I feel a little guilty) and the chaos at the race site. I also think that the course was long ,,, I know that GPS can be off for a variety of reason but almost 200m is a bit much,,, Anyway the December races will be more exciting!