Thursday, April 19, 2007

Running in London

 
Having run with throngs of competitive runners around NY's Central Park, Tokyo's Imperial Palace, Sydney Harbor, etc., and given the British reputation in the sport, I was expecting to be jostled by packs of fast, fellow runners around London's Hyde Park yesterday morning.  
 
Instead the run was an experience in wilderness solitude, more like a hike into the depths of the Olympic Mountains.  I was all alone in the vast emptiness of the Park even at the seemingly peak hour of 7:30am.  Finally I spotted another runner far, far in the distance, but as he approached I noted he was wearing an Iowa Hawkeye shirt which made me doubt he was a local Londoner.   
 
I begun to doubt that the British were such serious athletes after all, but then after a full day in central London it became increasingly apparent that no actual English people live or even seem to work in London at all.  The Russian and Saudi billionaires who do reside in the homes surrounding Hyde Park would not appear to be avid endurance athletes. 
 
Shame too, since Hyde Park is a splendid urban run with the perimeter trail creating at least a 7-kilometer loop and wonderful views of lakes, gardens and the vast open fields.  
 

1 comment:

MilesandMiles said...

well you happened to be there 3days before the London Marathon, presumably everyone is tapering... I used to live on High Street Ken and Hyde Park was my first ever running experience! I remember celebrating my first full lap around the park! I laughted at your comment about the dodgy wealthy Saudi and russians leaving in Mayfair!!