Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Triathlon Step Cycles


Triathlon training programs typically follow a "Step Cycle" - three to four week blocks of training in which the first 2-3 weeks entail a heavier load and the last week offers a lighter training load for recovery.
Looking at my weekly training hours listed below you might remark on how diligently I have been following a train/recovery step cycle:

March 4 -10 11:00 hours
March 11- 17 16:00 hours
March 18-24 14:45 hours
March 25-31 4:15 hours
April 1 - 7 10:30 hours
April 8 - 15 12:00 hours
April 15 - 21 4:30 hours
April 22 - 28 11:00 hours
April 29 - 5/5 12:15 hours
May 6 - 12 4:15 hours

Well, actually rather than being a carefully calculated training program, I just found myself with some extra time on my hands in mid-March and so my triathlon training went from very little after the Tokyo Marathon, to a massive 16:00 hours the week of March 11. A business trip the week of March 25th forced me to cut back. The same pattern repeated itself the last 4 weeks with a business trip to Europe forcing me to cut back my swim and cycling to nothing, then returning from two weeks in the US wiped me out last week.

I am convinced this pattern of build and recovery is effective. I am just not so certain that it is ideal that the recovery be composed of a hectic business trip entailing very little sleep. In the optimal training situation, the recovery week is composed of sleeping, lounging around on soft pillows, receiving massages and sipping carbohydrate/protein milkshakes -- not seven flights in 10 days.

No comments: