Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Lake Stevens Triathlon

 
I was optimistic about achieving a good mark at the Lake Stevens Triathlon, perhaps even impressing my family and friends.  Whether I recorded a good personal performance or not, I looked forward to the sheer enjoyment of the day itself - anticipating a day like the Sado Triathlon where I burst out singing during much of the bike.
 
But the Lake Stevens Triathlon was just an ordeal, and my results disappointing.   So now all my impressions below are perhaps unfairly negative --
 
1. The course - 
The lake was a murky swamp, the bike course a tedious homogeneous journey through rural trailer trash blight, and much of the run was repeated loops through an industrial area.  The bicycle route was narrow and clogged with vehicular traffic which on two occasions forced me to slam on my brakes.
 
2. The local fan support -
The only local people we saw were the drivers in their SUVs and pickup trucks who were invariably flipping us off for daring to slow down traffic on Sunday morning.  (nothing like the support of the crazed people of New Zealand passionately cheering for every athlete all day long or the throngs of 90-year old Japanese ringing noisemakers along the bike course in pouring rain).
 
3. Race organization -
I am always grateful for the hard-working volunteers.  But amidst the constant chaos of Lake Stevens, I found myself missing the amazing diligence and precise organization of Japanese elementary school kids at aid stations, and the fussy elderly officials in their white hats and blazers.
 
4. My fellow Americans -  
Outside the US I am not accustomed to seeing large rolls of fat bulging over bicycle shorts. On Sunday I was shocked to see so many outright obese people participating in an event like a half-ironman.  What shocked me even more was to see how fast these overweight people were going.  And what really, really shocked me was when a heavy-set lady passed me... during the RUN.   I had recently read a thread on the Slowtwitch triathlon forum filled with mean-spirited rants about jumbo-sized US triathletes.  But as for me, I just wanted to express my admiration for how fast and determined they were given the extra pounds they were carrying.
 
5. My swim -
Why do I even bother training in a pool?
 
6. My transition - 
Why am I the only half-ironman distance triathlete who deems it worthwhile to spend 4 extra seconds to change from cycle shorts to run shorts?
 
7. Triathlon t-shirt - Superb.  But I left it in a drawer since I don't want to be reminded of the event.  
 
8.  My support - Much thanks to my parents, TC and Elaine for coming out to cheer me on.
 
9. What's next - After a few dark thoughts of abandoning the sport immediately after the race, I hope to redeem myself at Suzu.  But at Ironman Switzerland next year I plan to follow teammate Mary's strategy of doing minimalist bike training and just trying to coast along until the run.  And in Switzerland I plan to arrive earlier to recover from jet lag.
 

2 comments:

Keren_m said...

Geez! And I was told that I was too harsh on myself after IMJ. In reality tri racing it is just a case of "some days you have it and some days you don't". Let's attack Suzu!!!

Jay said...

Keren you were impressive at IM Japan. Conditions at IM Japan were extremely harsh and you hung tough and did a PB. The weather conditions at Lake Stevens were ideal, I just mentally checked out. Suzu will be great fun.