Friday, June 13, 2008

More on Nutrition/Caffeine

This morning Anthony sends me this article on nutrition to maximize performance and recovery.

So the jury is still out on carbohydrate and protein intake immediately after workouts (though I will still eat my Cliff Bar - I mean why not?)

So WHAT does the latest research recommend we consume after workouts? Yes, you guessed it, our favorite substance - caffeine. Once again the lab rats and test subjects have outperformed and more quickly recovered when loaded up on coffee. So before, during, and AFTER the race and hard workouts we should be hitting Tullys.

They say that people will seek out information that is consistent with what they want to believe. So readers of this blog might assume I am just desperately trying to justify all the coffee swilling and caffeine addiction whatever way I can. But I swear I keep stumbling on these positive remarks about caffeine (and nothing that says it is slowing me down).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More good news for you, Jay.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/
checkup/2008/06/is_coffee_a_
health_food.html?hpid=smartliving

Jay said...

Thanks Gareth - You have inspired me to order the Grande size cappuccino here at Cafe Verite in Seattle - maybe if I can consume 10 cups of coffee per day (along with yoga and swimming) my risk of death will drop even further.

MilesandMiles said...

It does begin to sound like a bad case of "confirmation bias" but as a fellow caffeine addict i wont throw the first stone!