Saturday, June 28, 2008

Track workout in Seattle

I join a group of 50 serious Seattle runners at a track near Green Lake last night.   Having done workouts with groups in the past year in Singapore, NYC, HK, San Francisco, and Tokyo I was interested to see what the group from my hometown would be like.  And I found this club was definitely different - 

1. Faster runners -  We did 6 x1000 and I slotted in with the B group.  The four college aged guys in the A group averaged 3:05 per 1k.  The five guys in my B group averaged 3:14 and I struggled to keep up.  I needed to hit the restroom and missed the 5th interval and I could sense the rest of group B thinking that this guy just doesn't have what it takes.

2. Worst facilities - Considering Seattle is one of the wealthiest cities on the planet, it is shocking to experience the Green Lake track - more like one would expect in the developing world - a rutty, four-lane dirt track with dust blowing in from the interior soccer field.

3. Less friendly to newcomers - This group has to rank among the most unwelcoming, cliquish collection of people I have ever encountered.   Not only did no one make any effort to say hello, my efforts at conversation were met with cursory monosyllable replies.  There was no introduction of new people and rather than a post-workout group dinner  people went off together in small clusters.  I had observed how clannish and aloof Seattle people can be during numerous visits to my hometown since leaving for college two decades ago.   I guess like the city of Seattle itself, the Green Lake track is perceived as already full, and newcomers are simply not welcome.  I was just another outsider fresh off the boat further clogging up their city.  I thought about calling attention to my deep roots in Seattle but it didn't seem worth the effort.   

6 comments:

Christian said...

poor Jay! pls come back to a place where people are nice ;-)
good workout though(!)

Stephen Lacey said...

erk! Doesn't sound very pleasant. Kind of a punch in the guts to find out something like that about the old home town too.

Jay said...

Thanks guys - look forward returning to the friendliness of Namban Rengo.

Anonymous said...

Come run with me in New Jersey where not only are the club members half decent, new runners are singled out and introduced and the winning time in most 10k races is low 30's and frequently high 20's. Any trips planned to the East Coast Jay? Jim W

Jay said...

Wow Jim you New Jersey people are fast. I certainly do remember how friendly and welcoming the informal running club at NY's Central Park was when I dropped by during my business trip.

Anonymous said...

I live in Seattle and I've found many clubs are very unfriendly. I've had better luck running with the East Side Runners in Bellevue, WA. They were more friendly and laid back.