Monday, February 08, 2010

1:18:43 Half-Marathon


I run 1:18:43 (chip time) at the Kanagawa Half-Marathon.  

This is my fastest time in 4 years.  My teammate Juergen points to a age-grading calculations that would suggest guys over 40 slow-down some 30-seconds per year in a half-marathon which would make this time even more strong for me.

I am not convinced we should make such a large adjustment for age (I would rather not concern myself with this at all), but in any case it is a very good run for me, perhaps the best in my second running life. 

My rough splits - 18:35, 36:55, 55:50, 1:14:48 reflect my generally consistent effort (I am puzzled why the 3rd 5k is not as fast). 

The additional mileage I have done recently seems to have helped my endurance at the end of the half-marathon.  And the barefoot running and strides seem to have improved my form, and perhaps helped improve my time versus last year, though it is difficult to gauge.


2 comments:

AZ said...

Sugoi! Great job Jay. Kanagawa, never much to look at but such a fast course.

How much mileage are you doing recently?

Jay said...

Thanks Anthony!

Yeah Kanagawa could win an award for least scenic courses in the world, but obviously that is not the relevant criteria for the 7,000+ participants who turned out this year (including me and a dozen other Nambanners).

I think my mileage is around 70k per week - lots for me. I will try to post a mileage table.