Monday, February 01, 2010

One-legged hill training

I attend a running seminar on forefoot running last weekend by my ekiden teammate - Mike Trees.

Mike comments that runners tend to be rather stuck in their ways and reluctant to try new things.  Well, there may be something to this --  I am quite jaded and skeptical about new training, nutrition and gear recommendations, and generally just want to enjoy the same old running.   But I am a triathlete, and Mike goes on to say that triathletes are more eager and willing to try new techniques...

(In fact one new technique I have tried -  the barefoot running mentioned in my post of December 3rd,  is progressing slowly but surely - I am up to 3k per week of barefoot running - with no serious ill effects.)

Mike tells me that if I wish to get faster I need to work on strength and form.  I have been hearing for some time now that plyometrics can be effective, so I am relatively open to doing Mike's strength drills which we practice a few times and you can see on his blog - 

I will start a 6-week hill cycle after next month's races and post feedback to this blog. 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.