Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ironman recovery


Apparently most ironman finishers experience a "cavern of despair and disorder" after ironman, an "inevitable sense of letdown and purposelessness".   Well in my case I have no time for this cavern of despair - I have to start thinking about the Lake Stevens 70.3 triathlon on July 23 and the all-important Fire Festival 10k Run in August.    Anyway I had my despair and purposelessness after New Zealand Ironman fiasco.

So now I am just wondering how quickly I should start training again.

 The rule of thumb on straight marathon run recovery is one day of recovery for each mile of the race - so almost a month of recovery for the 26 miles of a full marathon.  This formula would imply what?   Over three months of recovery for the 140 mile ironman event? 

I am thinking of this recovery as a "reverse taper".  So last week (the 6 days after the ironman) I did  a total 2:15 hours of training - a 5k run with Jayne, an hour spin and a 45 minute swim.
This past week I did 7 hours of training, (a spin session, two swims and three runs).  One of the runs was a 6x1000 track workout wherein I pushed to sub 3:20 on 3 of the 1000s.  Perhaps this was too fast too soon?

As usual I am not doing enough cycling.   It is raining in Tokyo so I abandon plans to ride at  the dreary Oifuto Sunday cycling mecca.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»