Monday, June 19, 2006

Triathlon Gear Review

It is time for the post-Ironman gear review.

I am really not the gear geek that many of my colleagues are. This is partly because on my part-time work schedule I lack the financial resources to purchase all the requisite hardware. Nonetheless over the past few years I have somehow managed to cobble together enough equipment to make it through ironman. Here are some comments about notable items -


1. Aqua Sphere Swim Goggles - Goggles are a big concern for me. I struggle with visibility in the water and I wear contacts so I am preoccupied with water leaking into my goggles. None of the market leading swim goggles (Speedo, TYR) ever seem to fit my face. I had high hopes for the Aqua Sphere Goggles after reading that they are the number one ranked goggles among triathletes, and hearing an aggressive sales pitch in New Zealand. The Aqua Sphere goggles did live up to expectations in terms of 180 degree peripheral visibility and adjustability, and they felt reasonably comfortable. However they still left huge indentations in my face (it is always bad for me to look like a raccoon when I return to the office after a lunch swim). Moreover they occasionally leak meaning I did not feel comfortable relying upon them for Ironman and wore my trusted old pair. The Aqua Sphere goggles would definitely be worth the premium price if they fit my face - perhaps they work well for other people.
http://www.aquasphereswim.com/products/sealxp_clr_clr.html


2. Gel Kinsei - I have run over 700 kilometers on pavement and mountain trails on the Kinsei and they are still simply the most comfortable shoes I can ever remember (and I go back to original Nike Waffle Trainer). Great cushion and stability. Granted you trade off some weight and flexibility -- I tortured over whether to wear them for the Ironman marathon, but with my 3:30 goal pace I did not feel I would need to gain any speed with racing flats and would simply subject my exhausted legs to more pounding.
http://www.asicsamerica.com/kinsei/


3. Shimano TRO2 - My snobbish cycling friends actually approved of these shoes after making many condescending remarks to me about my old touring shoes. Yes the Shimanos are light and stiff. Problem is that the velcro strap on my right shoe constantly folds backwards and rubs against the crankshaft on every turn of the pedal. This friction can't help my speed. (maybe I will switch back to my reliable touring shoes).


4. Bento Box Bike Bag - This is very clever. And so crucial for storing gels. I just wish it was bigger so I could fit my mobile phone and more food.



5. Polar S150 bike computer and HRM - I truly hate this product. The manual is totally incomprehensible. Straps were broken straight out of the box. The watch visibility is poor, the buttons clumsy. I have nothing good to say about this piece of dog turd.


6. Orca Predator Wetsuit - Great buoyancy, warmth, and durability. And it looks cool. I do seem to lose a lot of freedom of motion with the long-sleeves, but I would buy the same long-sleeve model again

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So, I must count as a "gear geek" and one of your snobbish cycling friends. I am comfortable with these handles!

I also have similar problems with googles, and I think just about everyone does. Have bought and tried out new ones, but I keep going back to a pair of TYRs that I bought 10 years ago. Just bought a brand new pair of, I hope, similar TYRs in Hong Kong. Well they look similar at least.

For your shoes, try moving the position of the cleats a little. I had the same problem with ,y nre shoes and fixed it by moving the cleats forward by a few cm. This new position is the correct one according to your book.

When will you be back from Sing?

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»