Monday, May 08, 2006

Running in Dalian China

 
As largish cities in China go, Dalian is a particularly pleasant place to run.   I charted a 25-kilometer course that loops around the peninsula upon which the city of Dalian is perched .  There are shorter versions of this loop, and frequent opportunities to hail a cab home at any point when one starts to feel tired. 

When I asked the hotel manager about my proposed route, as expected, she was shocked and horrified, and essentially pleaded with me not to attempt something she considered so long and difficult.   Of course I was not deterred.  It was a pleasant Sunday morning in May, and I left my hotel in central Dalian at around 9:45am with money, a map, and the hotel address tucked in the back pocket of my singlet.

My hotel was near the impressive Zongshan Square from which the city's major thoroughfares radiate.  I ran directly through center of town for 1.5-kilometers to the harbor.  The sidewalks of Dalian were comfortably wide and the streets less dangerous to cross than in most of China's urban areas. 
 
Upon reaching the waterfront I turned south and followed the coastline road for 3-kilometers to the entrance of Sea Charm Park.  These 3-kilometers were the least pleasant part of the course -- busy roads that took me past factories and power plants.  But even this section was easy running along a wide sidewalk.  Then at Sea Charm almost all the traffic is eliminated by a US$1 park entry fee, and the quiet road hugs the rugged coastline along the southern coast of the peninsula.  The road climbs past the park's gigantic plastic fish and whales.  On the morning I ran, over a dozen wedding parties were posing for photos along the beach in tuxes and puffy gowns.  The running for the next 10 kilometers was great, entailing spectacular views of the coast, fishing trawlers, and the Communist party resort area. 
 
After about 5 kilometers I exited Sea Charm Park but automobile traffic was still light, and the views impressive.  I passed through some residential areas where the local people seemed a bit surprised to see someone running, but 3 different men flashed an approving thumbs up at me, and a couple woman yelled out encouraging remarks.  I had frequently stopped to admire the view and examine my map, so it was 1:00 by the time I reached Xinghai Square - an enormous public square on the southern coast surrounded by immense seafood restaurants and a European style castle.  Rather than run back through town, I jumped in a cab from this point for the 6-kilometer journey home, though this area also appeared very runnable, following a canal and traversing an upscale hillside neighborhood of renovated historical villas and cafes.  
 
Dalian is a prosperous harbor city with great colonial architecture, and lots of open green space, which struck me as especially dramatic coming from Tokyo.  
 
(Google Earth does not appear to cover China so I have not yet been able to map this run and provide more accurate mileage marks)
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story!

Unknown said...

you smashed it!!! thanks. I am visiting in April from LHR plan to do something less exhausting