Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sleep - Part 2


So with some sixty-odd hours to go until the Ironman, my mind is not focused on race goals, tactics, nutrition, packing or last second workouts.

Rather I am worried about getting enough sleep.  It has been a hectic week so far with a business conference and various personal hassles,  I am already starting to feel unusually sleepy and worn out.  I am sure that this is partly a psychological matter as my mind starts to contemplate Sunday's activities.  In the past my body seems to have anticipated these endurance events, and shut down in advance to gain some extra rest.

The one comforting thought is comparing this week before Ironman Japan with the travel odyssey of going to Lake Taupo New Zealand in March for the NZ Ironman.  In that case I woke at 5am on Wednesday morning to catch a painfully early, 7-hour flight out of Narita to Bangkok, where I transferred to a torturous overnight flight to Auckland New Zealand, followed by a long frantic drive on Thursday afternoon to the triathlon site, arriving just in the nick of time to register for Saturday's race.

Tomorrow morning I merely need to go catch a 2-hour flight followed by a 90-minute ferry boat ride. 

Foolishly I joined the Namban team's track workout in the rain last night.   I kept expecting the horrific thunder storm that hit Tokyo to blow over, but it only got worse and I did 800, 600, 600, 400 with Steve Lacey in torrential rain with lightening crashing down nearby.  The workout itself was OK.  I am supposed to train very hard in brief spurts this week.  According to research, these short intense workouts the week before the race will increase the mass of my muscle mitochondria allowing me to burn more lactic acid on Sunday so my muscles will work harder and longer. 


No comments: