Monday, August 07, 2006

Back on the bike


It begins to dawn on me that I only have a bit over a month to prepare for the Sado Island Astroman Triathlon on September 3rd and that based on my current training I am absolutely doomed.  Cycling was my weakness at Japan Ironman, so what do I do to prepare for the next event?  I stop cycling completely (except for a few spin sessions).  Not only do I risk an even more embarrassingly slow cycling time - I risk being so exhausted after the ride that I lack leg strength on the run.

My most recent excuse for not riding, on top of risk of vehicular collision, rainy weather, hot weather, lack of 4-hour time blocks, lack of medical insurance.. (it is really remarkable how many excuses I dream up for not riding) is that my headset has been damaged - the ball bearings were crushed and the ring worn out.   Naturally I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my bike (I can barely figure out when I have a flat tire), but the surprising thing in this case is that the bicycle shop couldn't seem to figure it out either.   The bike shop had my bike for weeks and told me it was repaired when in fact it was not.  Naturally they were very apologetic when they finally fixed it last week and they did not charge me for any labor costs.   I was pretty relaxed about the whole matter - lets face it, I was lazy about riding anyway.

So finally this week, despite all my moaning in earlier blogs about my aversion to hot weather, and my concern that triathlon training is bad for my health, I push outside my comfort zone and get on my bike and ride 80 kilometers around Tokyo's 9-kilometer Oi-futo loop.  For awhile I felt pretty good - maintaining a speed over 30k per hour and keeping up with some of the packs of hardcore cyclists.  This  lasts for a couple hours before I begin to fade badly, and the ride home is misery.  Worse yet is how I feel on my long run later in the day.  My "long run" is about 14-kilometers.  I am aware that some people might not consider 14-kilometers to be a long run.  But for me right now 14-kilometres is much farther than most of my runs, and after the bike ride, the 14-kilometers seem to last forever. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, once again you are doomed. Just keep playing this same old tune!

Anonymous said...

ur doomed, anonymously, agreeing.
I had a similar ride on sunday. dehydrated 2hrs in and spend the next 5hrs. suffering in the blazing sun, unable to eat or properly drink. I suggest an IV, but had none on hand. Anony

Anonymous said...

Funny i came up with lots of similar excuses when I considered, under Mini Mika's influence to take up cycling to complement my running! on top of that cycling in Singapore starts at 4:30am! That did it... I stuck to running only (with spinning)... at least for now -- Arnaud

Anonymous said...

Jay, in all seriousness, if you're looking for a way to improve your ride, but you don't have time for a long ride, you could try this...

Set up your 'spin' bike so you're facing a wall. Ride 15 mins at 165pbm and at 100rpm. Raise this to 170bpm at 110rpm and hold for 1hr 30min, then, for the final 15 mins raise again to 175bpm at 110rpm. TV, radio, headphones and a view are all banned - this is about putting up with pain and focussing solely on your ride.

Do this at least 3 weeks before your ironman.