Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yasso 800


Last night at Oda Field the group ran the Yasso 800 workout

The idea of the Yasso 800 is that the average time of ten 800-meter intervals in minutes and seconds will predict one's marathon time (in hours and minutes). 

So last night I ran an average 800-meter time of 2:38, implying I am capable of a 2 hour and 38 minute marathon. 

The key point here is that this projection only suggests a theoretical capability.  Since I could barely run 14-kilometers on the weekend, it is highly questionable whether I could run a marathon at all right now, let alone complete one in a time of 2:38

Nonetheless it was an encouraging workout, and certainly among the most grueling I have done in months.   I ran with Omar and Taro, and when Omar took us through the first 800 in 2:35, I knew it was going to be a struggle.   An added challenge comes from needing to complete a 400-meter jog between the intervals in the same time interval that we run the 800s, so 2:38 in my case.   My the end of the 12-kilometer I was drenched in sweat and struggled to  find energy to shower and make it to the post-run dinner.

No comments: