Thursday, August 23, 2007

Countdown to Suzu

I am trying to have realistic expectations for Sunday's Suzu Triathlon.   Everything I learn lately is causing me to ratchet back my goal time for the event:

2.3k Swim -  
I saw Yamada-san at Ys Bike shop yesterday and she informs me that the Suzu Triathlon is known for its strong currents, currents that pull swimmers wildly off the course.  I grow worried of being sucked out into the perilous Japan Sea and finding myself washed ashore in North Korea. 

100k Bike -
Apparently the swimmers who end up in North Korean prison camps are the lucky ones though.  According to the elevation map we just received, the Suzu bike is a torturous roller coaster with a long, almost vertical climb at the 40k and 80k mark.   Moreover, as teammate Mary reminds me, a 100k bike segment requires a series of long training rides.  She notes that my single 100k training ride last week (and indoor training) is pathetically inadequate. 

23k Run -
The weather forecast for Sunday is for 32 degrees (90 degrees F) by the time I start the run at around noon.  The course is cruelly exposed to the sun.  Last year few participants broke 2 hours.  So 5 minute per kilometer is actually a very competitive pace.

Nonetheless  I am looking forward to a fun weekend - the course is said to be very scenic and we have a good crew participating.

4 comments:

Keren_m said...

You are doomed! Doomed! Doomed!

I am also really looking forward to the race and hopefully I am ready. Just can't believe that it can be much tougher than Sado.

MilesandMiles said...

Your natural talent will more than compensate for your lack of training... I believe that at 57kg it is impossible for you to run slower than 4min per k

GKK said...

Maybe time to shave your legs? Faster swim and ride are almost guaranteed.

GKK said...

Oh, I forgot, your legs are covered by a wetsuit in the swim. But you'd go faster on the bike. And even if you didn't, people would think you're a pro who was just having an off day.