Friday, August 17, 2007

Edogawa Ride

I decide it is imperative to get in a long bicycle ride prior to the looming Suzu Triathlon and set out on a 120-kilometer ride along the scenic Edogawa River, thinking it will boost my confidence for Suzu's 100k of cycling.

But instead the Edogawa ride leaves me a broken, exhausted shell of my former self with my hopes for Suzu shattered and reduced to simple survival.

The first 60k of the ride upriver is fine thanks to the strong tailwind. But when I turn into the headwind I know I am in trouble. The 33 degree heat, sore quads, and overall fatigue bear down on me. My speed soon drops from 28k/hour to 13k/hour. Soon I can hardly pedal at all.

When another cyclist goes by me I try to jump in behind him and take advantage of the draft, but I don't have energy to keep up. Later I come upon a young schoolgirl riding a little pink bike with a flower basket, and draft off her for awhile, but she provides little shield from the headwind.

I abandon my initial plan to ride back to the Bay and stagger onto a train at Matsudo where the other passengers look upon me with mixture of concern and disgust. Upon returning home I weigh myself and am a shocking 57kg (126 pounds), my lowest weight since around the age of 14.

I run with our Yoga Master, Michael Glenn, after the ride, but I am so spent that I repeatedly implore Michael to stop and walk

5 comments:

MilesandMiles said...

57Kg! that's similar to the small ethiopians dominating our sport! That's dangerously light for a TriAthletes supposed to cary some muscles from the Biking and swimming!! I recommand a diet of Pizza paster and Biru!!

MilesandMiles said...

by the way i told Little Mika today about you drafting behind the school girl... she laughted so much we almost had an accident !!!

Christian said...

i am gaining the weight you loose... let's team up together!
but mainly, be careful! doesn't sound nice at all...

Jay said...

Yes I suppose I should start drinking straight shots of olive oil to pack on calories for next Sunday's triathlon. At 1920 calories per cup, olive oil is pretty calorie-dense.

Maybe some cashews dipped in peanut butter, a large serving of salmon, and Snickers bars dipped in lard would also help.

Keren_m said...

Ask Stu if he has a recipe for that Scottish favorite: deep fried Mars Bars.