Monday, August 13, 2007

Indoor trainer


Most people migrate to their indoor trainers in winter to escape cold and sleet.

Not me. I simply cannot will myself to go out into the 35 degree weather and ride for hours through the sweltering, smoggy, traffic-clogged streets.

To extent I have trained at all for the cycling portion of the upcoming Suzu triathlon it has been in the relative air-conditioned comfort of my living room. Indoor training has the advantage of being more efficient - one can obtain a decent workout in less than an hour and work on strength and speed (and watch episodes of Prison Break).

Will the indoor trainer suffice for the mountainous 100k at Suzu?

Apparently not. My teammates have lost all respect for me now, and inform me that I am doomed.

6 comments:

Keren_m said...

I prefer episodes of 24.

MilesandMiles said...

What a coincidence i bought 2 new mountain bikes for Leng and myself and was extremely tempted to buy the indoor trainer (a japanese brand)... i havent done it yet but i agree that training indoor is a bit like working from home ie less intimidating than venturing outside the house... I predict a quantum leap in your Tri performance.

Simplicity said...

Come on Jay! What a sissy training with AC and watching TV....did you have your "margarita" with you too?

Just kidding! I love your blog and make me want to run again, but when you are so close to the grave, I rather save my energy for dancing...

mika t. said...

Ah-ha, that was your secret, indoor trainer. I was wondering where and when you cycle. One expert guy told me that it's very good to learn smooth pedaling if you do it everyday. Smoothness seems more important than strength sometimes.

Christian said...

you were complaining about your bike and open water swims in "Countdown to Lake Stevens Triathlon" and now you are telling me that you do your bike training indoors watching tv? sounds like a wimp... but as long as you are still faster on the track i keep my mouth shut ;-)

Jay said...

I am planning to go back to doing all my bike training at spin class. Instead of watching Prison Break and Lost I will cycle to the beat of Abba and Eurythmics. Keren had told me that spin was wimpier than indoor cycling, but I miss the gang at Akasaka spin.