Monday, April 07, 2008

Ome Takamizu 35k Trail Run

I ran surprisingly well in yesterday's Ome Takamizu trail run, covering the hilly 35-kilometer course in 2:59:23 and finishing 13th out of over 900 starters. 
http://www.gem.hi-ho.ne.jp/kfc-onishi/

Twice before I had run this race.  Two years ago when the course was only 30 kilometers, I finished in 2:30.  The extra 5-kilometers added some beautiful trail sections, but made the run significantly more difficult.  I am not sure how I managed to improve on my previous effort given my recent lack of mileage in general and lack of trail running in particular. 

As usual, I intended to go out slow and enjoy feeling stronger later in the race.  But I joined my teammates near the front at the starting line and after the gun went off I quickly settled into the top 20 as we climbed the initial hill.  By about 8k I felt worn out and wondered if I was in trouble - an uphill portion of the new section was so steep that I used ropes to help pull me up. 

For almost the entire 3 hours I found myself passing a group of 6 other runners on the flat, uphill and paved sections and then watching in dismay as they simply blew by me on the steep downhill trail sections.    When we arrived at the temple at the top of Mount Takamizu I made a point of ringing the gong and admiring the scenery (as the familiar group passed me yet again).  At this point I was in 20th place.  I suffered various cramps and stomach discomfort and sore thighs and hip pain and a wrong turn, but none of these  slowed me down tremendously, and having done long triathlons I have grown more accustomed to working through various mid-race issues.  For the last 15-kilometers I concentrated on working through one section at a time, uphill, downhill, ridge, etc., and managed to pass and maintain my lead over the group around me (including the fastest woman and a 52-year old guy).  I was completely drained by the time I hit the finish.  

I was one of the few runners not carrying water.  Most other runners carried backpacks.  It was a warm Spring day, but the 6 aid stations were adequate replenishment for me.  If I could find a really small, tight water belt I would probably wear it on a day like yesterday, but am glad I did not lug my current belt which drives be crazy bouncing up and down.  I did carry 3 gels and a power bar and was diligent about eating every 30 minutes which seemed to help. 

I seem to be more competitive overall in trail races than road runs, yet within the trail races my strength relative to the other participants is overwhelmingly on the more flat, paved sections.  


2 comments:

Christian said...

congratulations, Jay! that's subarashii, very well done.
maybe you could benefit from your experience and the mileage you did before and in addition take full energy out of a recovered body - or the push-ups already proved its value ;-)

Jay said...

Thanks Christian - Yes maybe it was the push-ups that made the difference on the uphill sections - especially on the sections where I used the ropes.
My recent 4-hour bike rides probably helped too.