Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Swim Squad 2: Waterboarding experience


After swim squad last night I understand why waterboarding was such an effective form of torture at Guantanamo and has outraged human rights activists.

We did one-arm swim drills and rotating, arm-by-side drills for 4x50 meters each. Soon I was inhaling water and experiencing the process of drowning, and death seemed eminent. My teammate Mary expressed concern to me when I finished each lap gasping and sputtering. "Jay - take it easy, I am getting worried about you - your face is turning blue" she kept saying.

Still I managed to recover and do the subsequent 8 x 200s in an average of 3:50, which is a big improvement for me. After the swim squad session I again felt a nice sense of accomplishment and am pretty sure that the waterboarding-like experience did not cause too much brain damage from oxygen deprivation or will lead to post-traumatic stress

No comments: