Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Whidbey Island Triathlon 2024

 I compete in one triathlon again this year - a convenient sprint event on Whidbey Island:



Swim - I diligently trained daily for several months in the tiny 20-meter pool in my apartment and this seems to pay off.  

Unlike last year I am not in last place during swim leg and felt strong.  Though it may not look this way in this picture of me struggling to emerge from the lake ----->  






Bike - On the other hand I did not train much at all for bike, basically a couple Zwift indoor training workouts, daily slow rides on shopping bike, and one quick test of the bike right before the triathlon.  Interesting challenge to suddenly be back in competitive mindset on hilly course after so long. 


Run - Running hard is more familiar - but of course my legs were trashed from bike and the 7k course did not give me much opportunity to overtake people.





But I do manage to make the podium - helped by fact that there are only three finishers in my advanced age group.  It seems a case of "survivor bias" - the only other 2 guys who complete the triathlon in my over-60 division are established, elite cyclists.  So it feels like an elementary school where "everyone is above average" and all the participants in races are handed medals in order to raise self-esteem. 


Swim - 16:02    53rd
Bike - 1:13:33   46th
Run - 25:48      8th    
Overall - 2:02:05    33rd of 116

I suppose finishing 33rd out of 116 total participants should bolster my self esteem and allow me to feel above average.  

No comments: