Sunday, April 30, 2006

Inagi Ekiden


I managed to somehow, just barely, outrun a one-legged man at the Inagi Ekiden (running relay race) in western Tokyo today.

I suppose I really should have put in some serious triathlon training with only four weeks until ironman, but after missing so many Namban Rengo events, I felt compelled to join one of the ekiden teams.   The Ingai Ekiden was a splendid, little event with lots of picture taking and joking and cheering one another on.  Inagi Central Park is a pleasant setting, the weather was wonderful -- I just wish I had brought a frisbee or a nerf football. 

As far as the run itself - well, the speed of such a short distance (3-kilometers) was a bit of a shock.  I was the lead-off man for our team, and when the gun went off the other 60 runner burst down the track like they were shot out of a gun.  I struggled just to keep up.  A kilometer into the race I began to overtake some of the other participants, and at the halfway mark I caught up to the individual wearing a prosthetic leg from just above the knee.  It was very impressive and inspiring to see how smooth and fast this guy moved on the prosthetic leg - a flat curved piece of metal with Nike racing flats on the foot.   I would have been content to stay behind him, but teammate Steve Lacey had urged me on before the race by saying - "At least try to beat the guy with one leg," so I managed a burst of speed, and then held on through the hilly final kilometer of the course.   My teammates -- Steve, Fabrizio, Teruyuki -- ran well and I think we finished around 10th out of 60 teams.

After the ekiden, I did manage a few pathetic kilometers along the Tamagawa on my bicycle, but it was a constant struggle to manauver around the numerous individuals sauntering along the path on a lovely Sunday afternoon. 

I may be doomed at Ironman, but the important thing was to help the team out at Inagi.



No comments: